Each year the SCGRG sponsors a range of sessions for the RGS-IBG conference. Calls for sponsorship are released towards the end of each year and session conveners are invited to submit outlines for sessions. The committee then votes on the submitted sessions and the most voted for receive prestigious sponsorship from the SCGRG.
The RGS also has a wide range of resources, grants and other support available for geographers at different stages of their career. The following links have been collated here to help highlight a few key ones likely to be of particular interest to SCGRG members.
- Grants: The grants offer support to desk and field researchers, research teams and school teachers. Grants are for work in both the UK and overseas and range in value from £500 to £15,000.
- Guides for Researchers: Free guides for researchers written by leading academics, with advice on key topics in scholarly publishing and communicating geographical research beyond the academy.
- Academic books and journals: In association with Wiley-Blackwell, the Society publishes three prestigious peer-reviewed research journals and a Book Series.
- Geography and Climate Change: examples of how geographers apply their unique skillset to encourage protection of nature and a liveable climate, and influence policies around that. Ideas, case studies, resources for schools, career profiles and research articles.
- Equality, diversity and Inclusion: The promotion of equality, diversity and inclusivity (EDI) are core values for the practice, study and teaching of geography.
- Advocacy and Impact in Geography: A leading advocate and influential voice for geography in the UK.
- Collections: the RGS-IBG has over 2 million documents, maps, photographs, paintings, periodicals, artefacts and books, spanning 500 years of geography, travel & exploration, available for research, learning and teaching. You are invited to plan class visits to the Society to use the Collections and undertake teaching activities. Contact RHED@rgs.org for more information.
- Research Groups: An RGS page of news, events and other resources useful for all research group members